Information for Applicants
Do you want to become a global citizen and help make the world a better place? If so, become a Melton Fellow!
Please note the deadlines for applications vary by each University.
Joining the Melton Foundation gives you a window into the world and a worldwide platform to make a difference.
As a Melton Fellow, you will:
- experience new cultures and improve your ability to work across barriers of country, nationality and culture
- expand your global knowledge on a diverse range of topics – from sustainability to cultural diversity
- gain new skills through hands-on workshops, activities and trainings and events like the Global Citizenship Conference
- put these skills to use in the ‘real world’ – in your career, your community, and around the world, and
- work in teams with Fellows on campus, in other countries and online on projects that make a positive impact locally and globally.
The Melton Fellowship starts while you are in university. Through online learning, teamwork, and travel to other countries you will collaborate with Melton Fellows around the world to become a global citizen. After you graduate from university, as a Melton "Senior" Fellow you continue to collaborate in projects of increasingly higher profile and impact.
In short, when you join the Melton Foundation, you become equipped to be a global citizen – for life.
- The Foundation is currently associated with five universities. Only first- and second-year students at these five universities may apply to be a Melton Fellow.
|Friedrich Schiller Universität (Jena, Germany)||B. M. S. Educational Trust (Bangalore, India)|
|Zhejiang University (Hangzhou, China)||Dillard University (New Orleans, Louisiana, USA)|
|Universidad de La Frontera (Temuco, Chile)|
The Melton Foundation is looking for future fellows
- Who are – or show clear evidence of potential to become – global citizens, and
- Who can and will promote global citizenship through support for like-minded partner organizations, and through her/his own global citizenship projects
Here are the specific characteristics we are looking for:
Global perspective and intercultural competence
- Knowledge about foreign cultures, international issues, and global topics
- Intercultural experience, whether across the street or across the world.
Track record of active involvement in their societies
- Engagement in local initiatives with a connection to global topics
- Personal initiative, and teamwork experience
- Strong communication skills (oral and written)
- Strong academic record
- Basic to intermediate English language skills
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills.
If you think you can be a global citizen, apply today.
All applications MUST be complete and submitted by your University’s specific deadline.
The deadline to submit your application for your specific university is:
- Universidad de la Frontera: December 03, 2012
- Dillard University: February 22, 2013
- Friedrich Schiller University: March 03, 2013
- BMS College of Engineering: March 03, 2013
- Zhejiang University: March 24, 2013
Applications received after the campus deadline will not be considered.
After each campus’ application deadline, 10-15 finalists from each campus will be invited to a selection interview with a global selection team.
The final interviews will take place at the following dates:
- Dillard University: April 01-02-03, 2013
- Universidad de la Frontera: April 15-16-17, 2013
- Zhejiang University: April 20-21-22, 2013
- Friedrich Schiller University: April 26-27-28, 2013
- BMS College of Engineering: May 03-04-05, 2013
Finalists will be informed by mid-May 2013 whether their application was successful.